Dé opleidingensite voor hbo en hoger

Development and Socialisation in Childhood and Adolescence

Universiteit Utrecht

  • Beschrijving
  • Overzicht

Become a social scientist in the field of developmental psychology, pedagogy, and/or interdisciplinary social sciences.


From the day a child is born, their family and the culture in which they are raised have a huge impact on their socio-emotional development and psychological adjustment. As the child grows up, their school and networks of friends and peers become more and more influential in their development. The two-year Master's programme in Development and Socialisation in Childhood and Adolescence (DaSCA) gives you the theoretical and methodological background to analyse this development. The programme focuses on both normal and abnormal development processes. Explicit attention is given to the study of interventions and risk factors in children's and adolescent's cognitive and social-emotional development and adjustment.

From the day a child is born, their family and the culture in which they are raised have a huge impact on their socio-emotional development and psychological adjustment. As the child grows up, their school and networks of friends and peers become more and more influential in their development. The two-year Master's programme in Development and Socialisation in Childhood and Adolescence (DaSCA) gives you the theoretical and methodological background to analyse this development. The programme focuses on both normal and abnormal development processes. Explicit attention is given to the study of interventions and risk factors in children's and adolescent's cognitive and social-emotional development and adjustment.

Kosten

2018 Full-time Institutioneel € 10512 / jaar
2018 Full-time Internationaal € 15575 / jaar
2018 Full-time Wettelijk voorgeschreven € 2060 / jaar

admission

See: www.uu.nl/masters/en/development-and-socialisation-childhood-and-adolescence/admission-and-application

characteristics

The Keuzegids Master (a highly regarded Dutch ranking of Master's programmes) ranked Development and Socialisation in Childhood and Adolescence at Utrecht University as the best in its field in the Netherlands for three consecutive years (2015, 2016 and 2017). The programme represents an opportunity to study under the supervision of leading experts in the field. We admit no more than 20 students each year, which ensures plenty of interaction within the group and between students and teachers.

curriculum

In each semester of the first year, students take two courses on theory, one course on methods and statistics, and one workshop. The workshops integrate the theoretical and statistical knowledge taught in the above-mentioned courses, and students learn how to apply this knowledge to real research questions. In the second year, students continue to explore various theories of development and socialisation, they can participate in an elective course from other master's programmes, and follow internship where they learn to function within a team of researchers in a research institute. Students conclude the programme with a Master's thesis and a draft research article for international publication.

job perspective

After you obtain your degree, you can apply for a research function. To date, about 65% of our graduates obtained a PhD position within 4 months of graduation while the other 35% found jobs outside the university. They are working in positions such as: a researcher (Office for National Statistics, TNO, Zorgverzekeraars Nederland), a clinician (Opdidakt, Altrecht, Trajectum) or senior policymaker (Dutch Knowledge Centre for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry).

objectives

To provide the theoretical and methodological basis for the analysis of family socialization and parenting, cognitive and social development in childhood and adolescence, and for studying interventions.

admission

See: www.uu.nl/masters/en/development-and-socialisation-childhood-and-adolescence/admission-and-application

characteristics

The Keuzegids Master (a highly regarded Dutch ranking of Master's programmes) ranked Development and Socialisation in Childhood and Adolescence at Utrecht University as the best in its field in the Netherlands for three consecutive years (2015, 2016 and 2017). The programme represents an opportunity to study under the supervision of leading experts in the field. We admit no more than 20 students each year, which ensures plenty of interaction within the group and between students and teachers.

curriculum

In each semester of the first year, students take two courses on theory, one course on methods and statistics, and one workshop. The workshops integrate the theoretical and statistical knowledge taught in the above-mentioned courses, and students learn how to apply this knowledge to real research questions. In the second year, students continue to explore various theories of development and socialisation, they can participate in an elective course from other master's programmes, and follow internship where they learn to function within a team of researchers in a research institute. Students conclude the programme with a Master's thesis and a draft research article for international publication.

job perspective

After you obtain your degree, you can apply for a research function. To date, about 65% of our graduates obtained a PhD position within 4 months of graduation while the other 35% found jobs outside the university. They are working in positions such as: a researcher (Office for National Statistics, TNO, Zorgverzekeraars Nederland), a clinician (Opdidakt, Altrecht, Trajectum) or senior policymaker (Dutch Knowledge Centre for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry).

objectives

To provide the theoretical and methodological basis for the analysis of family socialization and parenting, cognitive and social development in childhood and adolescence, and for studying interventions.

sustainable strengthening

There will be a specific answer for each graduate, but generally speaking participation in an international high quality Master programme will increase his or her professional knowledge. Since the employer plays an important role in the application procedure, it is expected that the organisation will benefit from the upgrading of its employee.

Niveau WO
Vorm Full-time
Incompany Nee
Open inschrijving Nee
Doorlooptijd 24 maanden
Type MSc (Master of Science)
Kosten (indicatie) Tussen de €450 en €1350
Titulatuur MSc (Master of Science)
Benodigde taalkennis Engels
Gefinancierd Regering
Afronding Diploma
Credits 120