Contemporary social and cultural anthropology aims to understand and explain the differences and commonalities between different lifestyles found in societies of the world.
Questions of globalisation, identity and authenticity, migration, citizenship, but also of transnational relations, development, and myths of progress are at the heart of the Master's programme in Cultural and Social Anthropology. This programme is designed to transform you into an active participant in the production of anthropological knowledge and the principles and practices of the discipline. As an anthropologist, you will investigate your carefully formulated research question by means of ethnographic fieldwork and relevant comparisons.
The UvA programme in Anthropology is a broad, one-year programme in which you design and conduct your own high quality anthropological research. After completing a period of twelve weeks of fieldwork, you are expected to write a well-argued thesis.
€ 2060 / jaar
The Master's programme consists of three stages: designing your research project, conducting fieldwork and writing your thesis.
In all three stages, you will be supervised individually by a member of the academic teaching staff. You will also receive collective support in group seminars, although your main focus will be on your own research.
All applicants are required to submit additional documents such as: proof of identity and CV.
Specific career examples from alumni of the Cultural and Social Anthropology programme are:
* Head of Communications at SNV Netherlands Development Organisation (non-profit development organisation)
* Branding consultant and project manager at Sustainable Brands (commerce community)
* Policy officer at NWO (Dutch organisation for scientific research)
* Research Associate at the Netherlands Centre for Social Care Research
* Operations Manager at Ninos de Guatemala (international non-governmental organization)
* Management Trainee at ABN AMRO bank
* Associate Adviser at Diversion (consultants for diversity management and projects)
* Advisor and Project Manager at the Municipality of Amsterdam
* Researcher Programmes at IKON TV (a Dutch Broadcasting Company)
Tuition fees are adjusted annually. For up-to-date information, please see www.uva.nl/collegegeld (Dutch students) or www.uva.nl/tuition (international students).