The Master's in Political Geography focuses on three core concepts (geopolitics, globalisation and governance) to explore the political geographies of our globalising world.
These three concepts pertain to the dynamics of the spatialities of politics, including domestic politics, international relations and transnational politics, and how they can be understood through key geographical concepts such as territory, place, scale and network.The programme will assess theories and methods in these dynamic fields of scholarship and students will be familiarised with political geography and geopolitics before working on their thesis project in the field.
The programme consists of three complementary components:
* Geo tracks, which enable students to specialise in either urban, economic, environmental or political geography;
* Geo-skills, consisting of courses in which students develop a proper geographical habitus, providing them with relevant research methodologies, including qualitative, quantitative and mixed method research methods and GIS, as well as with other skills to prepare them for future labour market opportunities (presenting skills, cooperation skills, etc.);
* Geo focus, where students apply their geographical expertise in multidisciplinary teams, bringing together the four sub-disciplines into a common fieldwork project. Students choose between a project in either a city nearby (possibly Amsterdam or Antwerp) or a city in the global South (possibly Mumbai or Cape Town).
All applicants are required to submit additional documents such as: proof of identity, CV, research questions and written work.
The GSSS values diversity in both research and academic content, academic staff and student population.
Specific career examples from alumni of the Human Geography programme:
* Project Employee Sustainability at Amsterdam Innovation Motor (AIM promotes innovation, cooperation and new business in the Amsterdam region);
* Geography teacher at a secondary school;
* Geographic Information Systems expert at Dutch water board;
* Science Coordinator at UNU-EHS: United Nations University, Institute for Environment and Human Security;
* Director Viafrica Foundation (ICT service and projects in Africa).
Tuition fees are adjusted annually. For up-to-date information, please see www.uva.nl/collegegeld (Dutch students) or www.uva.nl/tuition (international students).