The Research Master Social Sciences combines advanced social theory with innovative methodologies in a rigorous and multidisciplinary social science research environment.
Are you interested in social scientific research and do you want to pursue a career in an academic research environment? The Research Master's in Social Sciences (RMSS) is designed for excellent students with an interest in research from various social scientific perspectives. With an extensive focus on advanced quantitative and qualitative research skills, the RMSS prepares students for an academic career in which they carry out high quality scientific research independently.
You will specialise in one of five fields of research:
* Institutions, inequality and life courses,
* Anthropology of health care and the body,
* Comparative international politics,
* Globalisation, flows and localities,
* or Migration and integration.
During the programme, you will choose between three research methods tracks: empirical-analytical, interpretative, and mixed.
€ 2060 / jaar
Students choose for one out of three methods tracks: the empirical-analytical track, the interpretative track, or the mixed track. Students follow compulsory and elective methods courses within their chosen methods track.
We aim to balance between the multidisciplinary nature of the social sciences on the one hand, and the specialised training in key research areas required in basic research on the other. Hence, the RMSS offers five thematic specialisations, each with their own faculty, elective courses, and specialisation tutors:
* Institutions, Inequality and Life Courses
* Anthropology of Health, Care and the Body
* Comparative and International Politics
* Globalisation, Flows and Localities
* Migration and Integration
All applicants are required to submit additional documents such as: proof of identity, CV, research questions and written work.
Lectures, workgroups, internship, tutoring, independent research fieldwork.
Graduates of this programme will be able to work in academic or non-academic research environments.
The programme provides a good foundation for PhD study, as well as for work in public research organisations and non-academic research institutions in the private sector. The Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research offers PhD programmes in the field of social sciences.
Specific career examples from alumni are:
* PhD-student and/or Assistant Professor (in a.o. Political Science, Sociology, Anthropology, Urban Studies, mainly at University of Amsterdam, but also at a.o. Erasmus University Rotterdam, Tilburg University, VU University Amsterdam, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid)
* Research Assistant, Dutch Scientific Council for Government Policy (WRR)
* Political Assistant to city senator, Amsterdam municipality
* Policy Advisor, Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs
* Qualitative research consultant for opinion polling agency TNS NIPO
* Analyst at Accenture (consultancy, technology services, outsourcing)
Tuition fees are adjusted annually. For up-to-date information, please see www.uva.nl/collegegeld (Dutch students) or www.uva.nl/tuition (international students).